Sunday 16 February 2014

Thriller Comparisson

Thriller Comparisson
13/2/14
Vasil Nikolov

I believe that my thriller sequence was successful as it shows to the invigilator with many different skills that I have learned through my course. For example, my thriller contains conventions that I taken from other successful thrillers, such as: "The Shining".

My opening sequence contained features, such as: low key lighting, which were used through out in order to show a convention of the time in which evil rises. Also effective were the tense sounds which we used in order to make the audience scared, as they would be not aware of what will happen. 

The cinematopgraphy used within the sequence was very conventional to thrillers as camera angles, such as:

  • hand held
  • high angle
  • close up

These camera angles allowed the audience to view and relate to the characters in the fiilm.

Throughout the whole opening sequence I contributed with the directing, edditing and aiding with the filming (Outtakes to arrive soon in the DVD version). This is because, the required expectations on how to direct, give advice and help with the filming as there were no scripts online on how to direct. The only way I learned how to directa thriller was from interviews with directors such as Quentin Tarrantino and his . For example, similarly to him I used the connotation of using a youthful female character which is blonde. This is because it has been seen in many films, such as Hitchcock's Pyscho, Jaws, Kill Bill and many more. Blonde victims are usually assosciated with being, weak, lack intellegence. This would not surprise the audience however, because the female character was blonde and young, my male audience would be interested to watch the film.

Using the budget that I had to create a gripping thriller, my set had to be real and the propps had to be housebased as they are cheap and increase the reallity. The good thing was that my father owned a VW Passat 2.0 so Danni can represent Dave (The main character) more businesslike. This would allow the audience to feel a sense of security, as the male character is showing the audience that he has this strong approach to him, yet as the sequence goes on, there is a clear show of vulnerability which therefore tricks the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment